RESUME OF JOHN C. GOODMAN
- Over 24 years of civil litigation experience, mostly involving public-works construction projects.
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Thomas Jefferson School of Law in 1994.
- Superior legal research, writing, and oral argument skills,
- Highly skilled at taking depositions, cross-examinations, mediations, and negotiations
- Trial and Arbitration experience: Superior Courts, AAA Arbitrations, OAH Arbitrations, CSLB Administrative Actions, etc.
- Appellate Experience: Have handled at least nine appeals in the CA Court of Appeal and one in Federal Court, including: Heritage Engineering Construction, Inc. v. City of Industry (1998) 65 Cal.App.4th 1437, and Ivy Trucking Inc. v. Creston Brandon Corp. (2000) 84 Cal.App.4th 85.
- Clerked for Honorable Justice William L. Todd, Jr., Fourth District Court of Appeal.
- Clerked for Honorable Arthur W. Jones, Judge, Superior Court, San Diego.
- Trustworthy, honest, and extremely loyal to clients.
Law Offices of John C. Goodman, Principal Attorney, since 1998: Represent clients with honesty, integrity, and professionalism in all phases of disputes. Have successfully handled (settled or litigated) hundreds of matters, of various types, most related to public works construction projects. Experience in a variety of forums, including California Superior Court, California Office of Administrative Hearings, American Arbitration Association, and various administrative agencies, with an excellent winning track-record. Very experienced with construction law matters, public or private works, including prime contractors against public entity owners and subcontractors, subcontractors vs prime contractors, bid protests, mechanic’s liens, stop notices, Contractors State License Board issues, surety issues, HOA issues, and some homeowner disputes. Experienced with a wide range of other matters, including eminent domain, negligence, fraud, nuisance, personal injury, contract, real property transactions, elder abuse, trees and more. Experienced taking on large public entities such as Caltrans, Cities, Counties, Public Works Departments, and other public entities.
Corona & Balistreri, Lawyers, Associate Attorney: Handled law and motion, discovery, trial preparation, and client communications on numerous construction industry civil litigation matters, mostly concerning California public-works projects. Defeated a surety=s indemnity claims under a written indemnity agreement my client had signed.
Tharp, Dockendorf, Flick & Jaroszek, A.P.C., Clerkship: Insurance Defense/Construction Defect Firm. Researched and drafted various documents and motions including: Demurrers, Motion for Leave to Amend, Consolidation, Class Determination, Sanctions, Answers to Interrogatories, Supplemental Trial Briefs, Deposition Summaries.
Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District, Division One, Externship: The Honorable Justice William L. Todd Jr. Reviewed the Appellate Record, researched, and prepared draft opinions for the Court in seven cases including San Diego Police Officers Association et al. v. City of San Diego (1994) 29 Cal.App.4th 1736. (All seven draft opinions, with minor modifications, became the ruling of the Court.)
San Diego Superior Court, Clerkship: The Honorable Arthur W. Jones, Judge. Studied "Fast-Track" procedures and the inner workings of the Court. Researched and drafted memoranda and proposed rulings on motions including summary judgment / adjudication, demurrers, judgment on the pleadings, tax/strike costs, compel discovery, compel arbitration, protective orders, venue, sanctions, trial preference and attorney’s fees.
- Managing General Partner, Pro Jersey of Mission Valley, San Diego, CA
- Manager, Topix Imports, San Diego, CA
- Manager, Meldisco Corp., Seattle, WA
Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, CA, Juris Doctor, Magna Cum Laude (2 of 61). Honors in Insurance Law. American Jurisprudence Awards in: Constitutional Law, Property Law, and Professional Responsibility. Drafted (elected) to Student Council without running. Completed three years of classes in two and a half years.
Michigan State University, College of Business, East Lansing, MI. Bachelor of Arts, Economics.
Loy Norrix High School, Kalamazoo, MI. Diploma